Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Why Messages from Meisyn?

Meisyn's body is dying.  We haven't told this to Meisyn, she has told this to us. 
Our little Meisyn turned 7 years old in January 2013.  She lived the first 6 years of her life in an orphanage in China.  She has had a full, final and forever family since March 28, 2012.  My name is Stefani and I am her MOM.  I will be the author of this blog and the documentarian of her life.  It is a responsibility I am honored and humbled to have but one that is tremendously hard for me.  Physically I cannot speak about Meisyn's situation as the words get utterly tangled in my throat and I cannot breathe.  Instead I will use this blog to share the wisdom that Meisyn possesses and wishes to share with the world which she will leave far too soon.



Before her adoption, the extent of her medical condition was not known.  It was thought to be likely an orthopedic issue including severe rickets with bilateral dislocated hips.  The minute I picked her up in China, I knew something was seriously and profoundly "wrong".  Yet, I didn't even then consider something as devastating as a neuro-muscular condition.
After mutliple MRI's, possible diagnoses and specialized tests, it is our understanding that Meisyn has a very rare and degenerative form of Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA) which is part of the Muscular Dystrophy family.  In her case, her nerves are degenerating.  The nerves can no longer carry instructions from the brain to the muscles thus the muscles atrophy. 

Meisyn has never walked.  She has severe scoliosis and weak core muscles which make it hard for her to sit up.  In the past few weeks she has lost a great deal of strength and stamina.  We are aware that this will continue to worsen and she will continue to weaken as her nerves continue to die.


Through this blog, I will share the messages that Meisyn has started sharing with us.  She is a child who seems to be unusally close to the veil between spirit and body. I feel she is meant to be a teacher and I, in turn, will be her scribe.  She is a prolific writer of notes and pictures which I will share.

Thus begins the formal written record of Messages from Meisyn.
 


9 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful and brave little girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. following and praying! May God hold you tightly in His arms, giving you peace, wisdom and even JOY as you have the privilege share in Meisyn's life journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meisyn I love your picture! You're a great little artist!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tears well up in my eyes as I look at her beautiful, radiant smile, and think of the brave, amazing little treasure that she is. Thank you for including us in her most precious journey of life. I feel honored to be included.

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meisyn and Stefanie, You both are valiant spirits! We will continue to pray for you guys.
    It does take courage to do this, and I do appreciate you for doing so. Meisyn has beautiful counterance! It seems that maybe she was willing to do this in the pre-existence. All in all, the Savior loves you guys!
    Your family and the rest of us are blessed to be able to get to know her. You are blessed to have her in your family. You are not alone in this journey. We wish you guys well! Hugs,
    Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Meisyn...beautiful mama. You're in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh..this is just heartbreaking. What a beautiful little girl...and what an amazing mommy to be able to spend a few minutes as you can to share Meisyn's story with all of us. Lifting you all up in prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Stefanie, Thank you so much for sharing about Meisyn. What a wise and wonderful soul she is. Where do you live and what can we do to help you?

    ReplyDelete
  9. So true On Messages On Hold, and what’s perhaps even more devastating is that there’s been so little support to help the community rebuild.

    ReplyDelete